DANCE IQUAIL seeks a creative, enthusiastic professional GENERAL MANAGER
JOB DESCRIPTION – FALL 2020
DANCE IQUAIL! (DI!) uses the art of dance as a conduit for combating issues of social injustice primarily experienced by the disadvantaged.Working in the universal language of movement, DI! is committed to creating and presenting programs that confront the destructive and divisive nature of racism, sexism, violence, drug and alcohol abuse, the needs of the poor, and the importance of family support and unity.
DANCE IQUAIL! core values:
- Respecting Cultures–we are courteous, curious, and thoughtful
- Promoting Creativity–we are supportive, principled, and experimental
- Performing Strategically – we are resourceful, proactive, and entrepreneurial
- Integrating individuality– we are collaborative, professional, responsive, and uplifting
- Embodying Diversity – we are inclusive, integral, adaptive and responsive.
These values are intrinsic to DANCE IQUAIL! and guide how we work together and interact with our core communities, audiences and supporters.
In August 2020, Iquail Shaheed, Founder, Executive Artistic Director, of DANCE IQUAIL! —Philadelphia-based dance and social justice organization—received a major general operating grant from the National Endowment for the Arts. The purpose of this gift is to support the development of the organization’s staff and operations. In the next phase of ongoing strategic growth for DANCE IQUAIL!, the organization will capitalize on the NEA support and project support from the New England Foundation for the Arts, and National Performance Network, to enhance the productions, touring initiatives, and most importantly to our values, our community engagement with Black and brown residences throughout the US and abroad. With new possibilities for developing large scale works and tours built in deep collaborative investment with historically disinvested Black communities, DANCE IQUAIL! will enhance its profile as a cultural leader in art as activism while spearheading the social change required to ensure an equitable contemporary dance field for Philadelphia, and beyond. In 2021, DANCE IQUAIL!, production activities will double in size, performing regular seasons in Philadelphia Baltimore and tour nationally, beginning with the highly anticipated world premiere of the work Public Enemy directed and choreographed by Iquail Shaheed.
The DANCE IQUAIL! General Manager is a new full-time executive position. Working alongside the Executive Artistic Director Iquail Shaheed (“EAD”), the General Manager will be responsible for the administrative direction of every aspect of the Company. This position is entrusted to drive the dynamic expansion of the company through the building of new relationships, partnerships, and entrepreneurial initiatives. Essential aspects of the position include planning, budgeting, fundraising, operations and spearheading community engagement initiatives as well as supervision of booking and marketing.
The General Manager will be a focused and driven individual who is strategic and action oriented with a fierce dedication to dance and social justice. A natural entrepreneur possessing outstanding business skills, this individual will be experienced, effective, exceptional at communication and interpersonal skills.
- Work directly with the EAD to drive and implement a dynamic expansion plan for DANCE IQUAIL!.
- Apply strategic skills, guide agile course correction, and plan for additional growth and opportunities.
- Deploy the Company’s artistic vision, history, and philosophy to advance ambitious artistic and growth plans.
- Build and sustain a collaborative and inclusive management culture that fosters cooperation, communication, teamwork, and trust.
- Facilitate communication, program activity, and planning between the EAD and Directors.
- Effectively manage a team consisting of a Company Development Associate (new position), Company Marketing Associate (new position), Company Administrative Associate (New Position), and Company Administrative Interns.
- Coordinate outside consulting teams, including a Press Representative, Booking Agent, Fiscal Mangers, and Marketing Consultant.
- Ensure that the needs of the EAD and Artistic Associates (Company Members/Collaborators/Presenters) are met, and that resources are available as needed.
- Maintain effective communication with and among the Company artistic staff.
- Negotiate dancer contracts and manage employee relations issues in cooperation.
- Manage relationships with Commissioned Artists, Collaborators and Guest Artists.
- Negotiate fees and royalty agreements for all new works, including choreographers, designers and music licensing and rights.
- Manage relationships and contracts with choreographers, designers, collaborators, and technical personnel.
- Work with the Development staff.
- Work with the Booking Agent and designated staff to actively cultivate meaningful and financially sustainable touring opportunities.
- Work with the Booking Agent and designated staff to plan tours and negotiate contract terms.
- Manage relationships and contracts with all venue and presenters.
- Supervise and approve touring itineraries, rehearsal and technical schedules, including production schedules for the creation of new works, coordinating with other departments as necessary.
- Manage presenter settlements as well as reconciliation of box office revenues for self- produced engagements.
EARNED REVENUE & DEVELOPMENT
- Cultivate opportunities for earned revenue streams from performances, residencies, school and partnerships.
- Support grant and final report writing, contract compliance, sponsorships, and annual reports and appeals.
COMMUNITY RELATIONS & MARKETING
- Forge and maintain important external relationships with the broader community, including funders, presenters, and other arts organizations.
- Ensure that the Company and larger DANCE IQUAIL! organization and its mission, programs, products and services are consistently presented in a strong and positive image.
- Work with a Marketing Consultants and to establish and reinforce new Company branding.
- Oversee the development and implementation of marketing strategies for residencies, partnerships, school and community initiatives.
- Represent the Company at performances, events, and cultivation activities.
- Oversee financial planning, forecasting, and reporting for the Company
- Collaborate with the finance team to prepare the annual Company budget.
- Support the Finance and Development teams in preparing budget proposals, financial reports, and interim and final reports.
- Prepare ad hoc financial analyses and reports to support Company decision making.
- to cultivate, establish, and sustain donor relationships, including individual, corporate, foundation, and government sources.
OTHER NONPROFIT EMPLOYMENT CONSIDERATION
The model Company General Manager candidate will possess the following experience and qualifications: Proven commitment to Dance and Social Justice.
DANCE IQUAIL! is a growing organization and employees are often called upon to perform other duties essential to accomplish organizational goals and meet important deadlines.
- DANCE IQUAIL! is a mission-based nonprofit performing arts organization. Working in this sector can be personally rewarding, with intrinsic benefits and distinct opportunities for growth. However, the compensation will never match that of the private sector or more highly resourced art forms. Candidates for employment are advised to carefully consider their decision to work in this field before seeking or accepting a position at DANCE IQUAIL!.
- Extraordinary commitment to the arts and Black and Brown communities.
- Outstanding leadership ability, including non-profit dance leadership experience.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, enthusiasm, creativity, and resourcefulness.
- Demonstrated skill at developing and driving strategic initiatives that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth or stability.
- A Bachelor’s Degree and/or equivalent experience. Master’s Degree preferred/not required. -and/or-
Significant experience in leadership and operational experience in an arts-related organization.
- Strong understanding of finance and budget management, including budget preparation, analysis, and reporting.
- Flexible, adaptable, and resourceful.
- Strong skills in planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Comfortable working in a small, open office space.
- Professional, ethical, and able to maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
To be considered for the position, please submit a cover letter, résumé and writing sample (e.g. a grant proposal or academic article). to:
DANCE IQUAIL! Hiring Team
DEADLINE to apply is NOVEMBER 27, 2020.
Please include the following information: your interest in the position and the organization, evidence of the required experience (as outlined in the job description under “Qualifications and Experience”), salary requirements, and contact information for three professional references. Please include “Company General Manager” in the email’s subject line.
All expressions of interest and conversations will be held in the strictest confidence; references will not be contacted without the candidate’s permission. Incomplete submissions will not be considered nor will submissions sent via postal mail or fax. No phone calls, please.
Prospective applicants are strongly encouraged to review the complete job description on our website at www.DANCE IQUAIL.org before submitting materials for consideration. DANCE IQUAIL! will not consider submissions from applicants that do not have the required experience. DANCE IQUAIL! will not consider submissions through employment agencies or online services. DANCE IQUAIL! provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, the status of being transgender, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.